[pam-users] isopropyl nitrite photolysis in OFRs: an alternative high-NO OH source

pam-users aerodyne-pam-users at aerodyne.com
Thu Jan 17 12:04:46 EST 2019

For OFR user looking to explore application of a high-NO OH source that
is complementary to OFR254/185-iN2O, you may be interested in our AMT
manuscript that was recently published:

Lambe, A. T., Krechmer, J. E., Peng, Z., Casar, J., Carrasquillo, A. J.,
Raff, J. D., Jimenez, J. L., and Worsnop, D. R.: HO_x and NO_x
production in oxidation flow reactors via photolysis of isopropyl
nitrite, isopropyl nitrite-d_7 , and 1,3-propyl dinitrite at λ = 254,
350, and 369 nm, /Atmos. Meas. Tech/., 12, 299-311,
https://doi.org/10.5194/amt-12-299-2019, 2019. Abstract
<https://www.atmos-meas-tech.net/12/299/2019/amt-12-299-2019.html>, PDF
<https://www.atmos-meas-tech.net/12/299/2019/amt-12-299-2019.pdf>and
Supplement
<https://www.atmos-meas-tech.net/12/299/2019/amt-12-299-2019-supplement.pdf>.

Some additional comments and recommendations:

1. To examine high-NO photochemistry in OFRs, start with OFR254/185-iN2O
because it is easier to implement, especially when beginning with
OFR254/OFR185 as is the case for most OFR users. Refer to Lambe et al.,
AMT, 2017 and Peng et al., ACS Earth & Space Chem, 2018, for the initial
characterization of OFR254/185-iN2O.

2. If your application of OFR254/185-iN2O generates conditions that may
be influenced by O3, NO3 , and/or 254 nm photolysis, consider testing
isopropyl nitrite photolysis as an alternative radical precursor.
Optimal implementation of this method involves  introduction of  ~10 ppm
of isopropyl nitrite (iPrONO) into the OFR and substitution of 254 nm UV
lights with blacklights. This will generate ~0.5 days' OH exposure under
high-NO conditions, with minimal O3/NO3. iPrONO is commercially available.

3. If OFR369-i(iPrONO) works adequately for your application, consider
learning how to synthesize perdeuterated isopropyl nitrite (iPrONO-d7)
using the methods described in this work. We found that
OFR369-i(iPrONO-d7) achieved nearly 1 day OH exposure under high-NO
conditions.

4. We found that NOx generated from iPrONO photolysis interfered with
SO2 analyzer measurements, and we found that iPrONO interfered with NOx
analyzer measurements. The OHexp and NO2 estimation equations that were
developed in this paper will be incorporated into a future version of
PAMcontrols, but if you are interested to experimentally characterize
OHexp, NO & NO2, keep these potential limitations in mind.

5. If you are able to build on this work by synthesizing novel alkyl
nitrites that perform better than iPrONO-d7, please give a presentation
on your work at a future PAM/OFR users meeting.

Best regards,

Andy et al.

--
Andrew Lambe