[pam-users] Review on OFR chemistry in Chem Soc Rev

pam-users aerodyne-pam-users at lists.aerodyne.com
Tue Apr 28 11:27:29 EDT 2020

Dear PAM/OFR users,

We would like to let you know that our review paper on the radical
chemistry in OFR has been published in Chem. Soc. Rev. (and in fact it’ll
be featured in the cover of the journal :-)

http://xlink.rsc.org/?DOI=C9CS00766K

In this review, we summarize the series of studies that we have published
on HOx, NOx and RO2 chemistries in the last few years and we extensively
discuss atmospheric relevance issues of OFR chemistry and how to deal with
them in experimental planning.

We are also releasing a case file for OFR radical chemistry that can be
directly loaded and easily run in KinSim, a free and user-friendly
chemical-kinetic solver we developed in Igor. With this anyone can do
simulations of the radical chemistry for their experimental conditions.
These simulations will be more accurate than the OFR estimators that we
have released before. However, they are also more complicated to set up and
take longer to run, so we still recommend using the estimators for initial
planning, and then running the model for more important cases where you
want more detail.

To run the KinSim OFR model, you need two things (plus Igor of course), the
latest version of KinSim (4.14 or later, the OFR model does NOT work in
older versions) and the KinSim case file.

To get the password to download KinSim as well as KinSim cases and learn a
little more about this software, please see
http://tinyurl.com/kinsim-release. For how to use it, please go to
http://tinyurl.com/kinsim-help.
To download the OFR case, you can go to:
https://tinyurl.com/kinsim-cases#bookmark=kix.jttzq8zdyoq4

Specifically, to load and run this case, open KinSim.ipf in Igor and
compile it; then click “Show_KinSim_Panel” in the “KinSim” menu and follow
the instructions to have the control panel created. Then click “Load_Case”
in the “KinSim” menu to load the case. This case file contains a chemical
mechanism and other parameters (e.g. initial concentrations) set up for a
typical OFR185-iN2O condition in a Penn State PAM. After the import, the
model is directly ready to run. You can easily modify inputs if you want to
simulate other conditions / operation modes / reactors.

We also want to remind people to include the KinSim case in the SI of
papers where you present KinSim results, and to send them to us for upload
to the case library once your paper is accepted.

If you have any questions or comments on the paper and/or the KinSim case
file for OFR chemistry, please let us know.

Thanks,
Zhe & Jose