[pam-users] Question about the PAM light source

pam-users aerodyne-pam-users at lists.aerodyne.com
Wed May 5 23:02:39 EDT 2021

Hi Qi,

It is possible to achieve a photon flux of about 6e15 photons/cm2/s with all four lamps turned on at maximum intensity. For more details, see Section 2.2.1 and Fig. S4 of this paper:

Lambe, A. T., Krechmer, J. E., Peng, Z., Casar, J., Carrasquillo, A. J., Raff, J. D., Jimenez, J. L., and Worsnop, D. R.: HOx and NOx production in oxidation flow reactors via photolysis of isopropyl nitrite, isopropyl nitrite-d7, and 1,3-propyl dinitrite at λ = 254, 350, and 369 nm, Atmos. Meas. Tech., 12, 299-311, https://doi.org/10.5194/amt-12-299-2019, 2019. Abstract<https://www.atmos-meas-tech.net/12/299/2019/amt-12-299-2019.html>, PDF <https://www.atmos-meas-tech.net/12/299/2019/amt-12-299-2019.pdf> and Supplement<https://www.atmos-meas-tech.net/12/299/2019/amt-12-299-2019-supplement.pdf>.

I have heard of groups using flow rates as low as 2-3 L/min. It might be also possible to operate at lower rates, but I have not attempted this myself, and have not received feedback from others that might have tried it. If you like, you are welcome to email aerodyne-pam-users at lists.aerodyne.com<mailto:aerodyne-pam-users at lists.aerodyne.com> to poll other OFR users on their experience. Or if you prefer, I can ask the question myself on your behalf.

Andy